acclude's 96 RS Build

acclude

cheap bastard
Check this thread regularly as it will be updated as work progresses!

Long story short, my Durango has been giving me lots of issues so I need to put the teggy on the road to use as transportation. The original plans were to strip it down to a bare frame and build it up piece by piece as a track only car that would never see public roads again. Things change so now I need to put it on the road.

Now with that said, I'm not just gonna throw it together and get it going sloppy style. I'm actually putting some time and money into it getting it solid before I start to drive it.

This car sat in my friends yard undriven for almost 5 years (see the inspection and county stickers below). That's giving me all kinds of extra work to do. I'm trying to make it road worthy, but do it up "acclude style" which usually involves a lot of part stripping, cheap or free performance mods, and some non-traditional backyard style work. l use the title "cheap bastard" for a good reason.

So a few weeks ago, I pulled the engine and stripped about half of the car down. Now, I've gotta put it back together to make it road worthy.....but I'm doing some things in the process. This thread will only focus on the engine bay.

What's getting done now (within the next month):
Wire tuck
completely stripped engine bay, cleaning, prep work, and flat black paint (my signature color for cars)
remove A/C
remove P/S
new motor

What's getting done down the road (several months from now):
tuck the brake lines, clutch line and fuel lines
put my welder to work welding up all the bolt holes, openings and random holes that are used for anything
re-paint flat black after welding
smaller alum. radiator
JDM front end conv. (I list it here because of the underhood mods necessary)
HID conv.
more motor mods

So I started on this and unfortunately had to clean up 5 years worth of crap. To start off with, here's some before and after pics of the cleaning.

Before:

Just look at all that crap on the ground and in the bay. Disgusting! I can't work on a car with that filthy of an engine bay! So after a little cleaning......

After:

Now the engine bay is clean enough for me to start some work. I will be cleaning up each aspect of this car as I do work to it. I tend to pay the most attention to the engine bay though.

Next up is stripping the bay down the rest of the way down until it's bare, doing an even better cleaning, some prep work, and painting it flat black backyard style. Then on to the wire tuck. Pics will be posted when completed. Probably by the end of the week or weekend.

Post your thoughts, comments, questions, suggestions, whatever.

Sammich

truth...i had a mild experience w/ that this week

acclude

cheap bastard
hope to see the progess
yeah, me too! lol

it did...i remembered where all the screws and bolts went to reinstall my interior lol
Good deal.

you got a lot of work ahead of you man =] good luck
it's not gonna be as bad or take as long as you would think. I'm only working on it a few hours a day, but it'll get done in a reasonable time frame.

damn it... give me garage!
yeah, I'm borrowing a friends garage to do this work.

nice work. keep it up.
Thank you. It's a process but the end result will be worth it.

acclude

cheap bastard
so today I got her completely naked.......

and did some sanding and prep work........

and sprayed on several coats of an underbody spray style ruberized sealant (still wet in the pics)........

I'm gonna see how it looks when it's completely dry tomorrow. If it looks good then I'm just gonna keep it and start putting it back together. If it looks bad then I'll do some light sanding and paint it. We'll see tomorrow. From what I saw tonight, it's gonna look pretty good when it's all dry. Bumpy just like you would expect from an undercoating but I think it will be a pretty flat balck color like what I want and should repel liquids which is all I really care about.

Its coming along, I've still got a long way to go until this thing is road worthy......