bkirshr's big choice *looking for comments*

5 Speed Tranny or Full GSR Swap?

• Total voters

bkirshr

User that is Registered
Sup fellas (and few ladies).

So the past few months, I've been kicking around the idea of a 5 speed swap. At this point, I'm about playing a full game of soccer with it. I've been doing a lot of research on it and looking for a parts list to go with. I was also Introduced to the idea of a full motor swap. I'm just curious as to what you guys think and if you have any experience with either and want to comment and help me make a decision. I'll go through the details for the choices:

5 Speed Swap
This is obviously the cheaper choice, and may be easier to do myself rather than take it to a shop. I think I'd go with an B16A2 (Si) transmission. I like the fact that it has shorter gears than an LS and GSR. At this point in my research, the problem I'm having is coming up with a solid parts list. Obviously, there tranny, tranny mount, shift linkage, shifter, slave cylinder, pedals, ECU, half shaft, clutch lines, but it's the other things that I'm not sure about. I've found several parts lists online, but none all have exactly the same parts. Some are missing parts, where others have extras. Here are the lists that I have found:
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19-projects-diy-article-talk/205387-auto-manual-swap-95-ls.html
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1255332
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/11-generation-three/42444-parts-list-auto-manual-swap.html
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=42140
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=273253
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/11-generation-three/186470-5-speed-swap-auto-manual-parts-list.html
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/19-projects-diy-article-talk/221657-my-full-auto-manual-swap-parts-list.html

GSR Swap
vrrrmmmmBBWAHHHHHHH!!! nuf said.

This idea was suggested by a buddy (Corey, MyDC2isSlow) when I asked him his thoughts on a 5 speed swap. Essentially I'd be killing 2 birds with one stone, however, the vtec bird doesn't NEED to be killed..but lets be real, I shouldn't cry if it did ;) The few drawbacks of this are that it's a little more expensive, idk if I'd be able to do this myself (maybe with the right people), and my LS motor only has 87,000 miles on it. However, I was talking to a coworker today and he said that he has a buddy that's looking for a non-vtec engine, so I'd be able to sell it to help fund this project. Plus it would save me fiddling and taking the tranny apart.

So please post your thoughts/suggestions. I know I'm going to get the question "What's your budget?" and really it depends on what I go with. Obviously if I went full GSR swap, the budget would be a lot more than just the tranny swap.

Final thought. I'd be more than happy with just the 5 speed swap. But who doesn't love vtec?

Thanks for the help guys (and few ladies)!

UPDATE
oohh, looky what I found..for parts maybe?
http://dayton.craigslist.org/pts/3701516730.html

Last edited:

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
Im having a little trouble with the parts list as well, specifically the mounts and clutch lines, i get different readings from different sites, so im in on this too ;) [from what i remember, its the rear T bracket (metal), a front arm with 3 holes (metal), a side mount (rubber), and one more i believe, i forgot]

Have you considered lsvtec? And good idea on the tranny swap either way ;)

Sent from my DC4

drevans_satx

Dylan
Obviously if you're gonna keep your car for a while you need more gsr swap.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
I would do 5 speed first. Increase that learning curve!

Then after a couple if years, do a head swap. If u want vtec. It seems to me that gearing is quite important, if its a DD or weekender, this may be all the "get up and go" you need. And its cheaper.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
It would be totally up to you, the GSR swap would be good now or later, it all depends on how much moneys you have now. Personally I would do the 5 speed swap first, and if funds allow, get the GSR motor on top of that.The best thing to do would be to locate a parts car/donor car and use that for parts. You should then have everything that you need to complete the swap. I know one part that needs to be changed is the Cruise Control module. The module behind the dash is different for an automatic and manual.

g3teg97

Super Moderator
This is a tough call. Is your motor healthy?

You'll need a manual trans so, why not piece the GSR together. Get a nice a nice GSR or B16 transmission (ITR too expensive) and get a nice clutch (*cough Exedy cough*) and maybe a LSD. Get all your 5spd parts ready and swap over.

Later down the road get a B16 or GSR head and you'll have a nice little LS/VTEC.

Maybe look at long term power goals or where you want to be turbo, n/a, etc. That might help. This method will also help with the funds department because you can piece together parts over time.

This is the route I would explore if I were in this situation.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I would do just the 5sp swap for now. Your gonna have quite a bit more parts to budget on top of the trans.

Swapping and engine later is no big deal but for now just work on getting a 5sp in there.

I'd also try and get one with an LSD right away, it may cost you a little more but you will gain a ton of performance from it.

DC Guardian

Uniqueness defines
doesnt 94+ gsr MT come with lsd?

Also, swapping a tranny is harder than swapping a head, if i were u, id get the harder stuff over with.

Sent from my DC4

drevans_satx

Dylan
I think its an option I'm the JDM gsr.

The only DC to come with an LSD in every model was...well...the ITR

bkirshr

User that is Registered
Mega multi-quote!

Im having a little trouble with the parts list as well, specifically the mounts and clutch lines, i get different readings from different sites, so im in on this too ;) [from what i remember, its the rear T bracket (metal), a front arm with 3 holes (metal), a side mount (rubber), and one more i believe, i forgot]

Have you considered lsvtec? And good idea on the tranny swap either way ;)

Sent from my DC4
I haven't put too much thought into an LS/Vtec, I suppose its a good option though. I've heard they aren't as reliable, but I suppose that also depends on how well it is done..definitely keep this in mind though

Obviously if you're gonna keep your car for a while you need more gsr swap.

haha good thinking. thanks for the input!

I would do 5 speed first. Increase that learning curve!

Then after a couple if years, do a head swap. If u want vtec. It seems to me that gearing is quite important, if its a DD or weekender, this may be all the "get up and go" you need. And its cheaper.
that's a good way to put it. and it is my DD, and I don't race it, so I feel like that may be all I need. I just want something more fun.

It would be totally up to you, the GSR swap would be good now or later, it all depends on how much moneys you have now. Personally I would do the 5 speed swap first, and if funds allow, get the GSR motor on top of that.The best thing to do would be to locate a parts car/donor car and use that for parts. You should then have everything that you need to complete the swap. I know one part that needs to be changed is the Cruise Control module. The module behind the dash is different for an automatic and manual.
I never really though about getting a whole donor car actually, just find parts here and there. But that actually makes a lot more sense. The trick would be I guess is to find an integra with a B16 tranny in it that's only for parts

tl;dr gsr ftw
lol what?

This is a tough call. Is your motor healthy?

You'll need a manual trans so, why not piece the GSR together. Get a nice a nice GSR or B16 transmission (ITR too expensive) and get a nice clutch (*cough Exedy cough*) and maybe a LSD. Get all your 5spd parts ready and swap over.

Later down the road get a B16 or GSR head and you'll have a nice little LS/VTEC.

Maybe look at long term power goals or where you want to be turbo, n/a, etc. That might help. This method will also help with the funds department because you can piece together parts over time.

This is the route I would explore if I were in this situation.
as far as I know, my motor has yet to be opened. nothings ever been wrong with it. when I was using conventional oil it was changed every 3k, and when I switched to synthetic, I change it every 7500 or so. I don't really have any "power goals," Im not really building it to race. I may take it out with by friends' Bimmers up at mid-ohio, but that's about it. Really I just want to have more fun driving and stop having to make shifting/rev match noises with my mouth all the time..ya know?

Thanks for the post :thumbs up

bkirshr

User that is Registered
first multi-quote took so ling that I have to make another one for all the posts that wer made during that time!

I would do just the 5sp swap for now. Your gonna have quite a bit more parts to budget on top of the trans.

Swapping and engine later is no big deal but for now just work on getting a 5sp in there.

I'd also try and get one with an LSD right away, it may cost you a little more but you will gain a ton of performance from it.
Thanks dude, I understand what an LSD is, I think I need to research it a little more though and figure out what kinds of gains there really are.

5 spd swap then work up to a lsv

Sent from Wonka's chocolate factory using tapatalk 2
thanks dude :thumbs up

doesnt 94+ gsr MT come with lsd?

Also, swapping a tranny is harder than swapping a head, if i were u, id get the harder stuff over with.

Sent from my DC4
not sure, lol, but that makes sense.

I think its an option I'm the JDM gsr.

The only DC to come with an LSD in every model was...well...the ITR

thanks for answering that question!