Building a GSR

Ryan659

Dropped the engine off at a machine shop today.

He's gonna build the short block and give me a blueprint of the specs of it. Nothing crazy and just getting it to OEM spec. Hopefully he'll be able to reuse the rods and pistons.

He's also gonna tear down the head and do a 5 angle valve job. Of course he's gonna inspect it when it's open and see if anything else needs replacement.

He's gonna inspect it Monday and email me a quote

R13

The other asshole
Make sure he uses brand new head bolts and rod bolts, it's more expensive at the start but it will save you from having to pull it and fix it 200-500 miles down the road.

I hate that I couldn't afford new head bolts for my geezer, it started leaking oil from the front right corner of the head gasket about 150 miles after I rebuilt it and started driving it. :/

it's a very light leak but I still run through a quart of oil every couple of months.

Ryan659

He's not putting them together. Just building them separately and I'll combine them.

I'll tell him about the rod bolts though.

Ryan659

should've taken more pics before sending it off to the shop but i'll try to be better.

packed for the machine shop by Ryan, on Flickr

here are the cylinders. ignore the shavings, the PO must have had it surfaced and those appear to be debris. You can definitely see scoring but no gouges though :D

Cylinder 1 by Ryan, on Flickr

Cylinder 2 by Ryan, on Flickr

Cylinder 3 by Ryan, on Flickr

Cylinder 4 by Ryan, on Flickr

Ryan659

Well bad news came from the shop. The cylinders need to be bored out to 82mm and so I'll need new Pistons also.

So now the quote to build the short block and head is $1,500

Edit: which includes parts

Last edited:

Ryan659

Did he give any detail as to why it needed to be bored that big?

I couldn't talk to long with him but I'm going over there tomorrow night.

But I believe he said the top of the cylinders were warped too much.

Prob why the PO thought it was a blown head gasket

Last edited:

Nick_C78

I couldn't talk to long with him but I'm going over there tomorrow night.

But I believe he said the top of the cylinders were warped too much.

Prob why the PO thought it was a blown head gasket
Cylinders becoming out of round is very common. Especially high mileage motors. I ran 82mm for a long time. RS Machine PR3 pistons are your friend. I highly suggest you delete the oil squirts. Supposedly cast pistons won't hit the squirts, but its a lie!