Building a GSR

Ryan659

Cylinders becoming out of round is very common. Especially high mileage motors. I ran 82mm for a long time. RS Machine PR3 pistons are your friend. I highly suggest you delete the oil squirts. Supposedly cast pistons won't hit the squirts, but its a lie!

Even if I use the gsr rods?

Ryan659

After researching (lots of it) people were saying they would bend the squirter a bit or trim off some of the top to make clearance.

I hate the Internet :lol: too many people from both side saying opposite things.

I will go with the RS machine ones you recommended but I'm curious as to what it's going to do to the compression.

Ryan659

Not saying your wrong, just writing things down (so to speak)

Nick_C78

Why risk it for useless squirts? You aren't doing endurace racing.

What do you mean? Comp wont be that high, somewhere between 11-12 depending on head, valves, gasket, etc.

Ryan659

I'm just trying to do as close to a stock rebuild as possible. Have no drive or intention for power in this car and still wanting to legit pass CA smog. This is only for the learning experience really and I got a good deal with this engine (or so I think) so figured what the hell :lol:

And I have absolutely no experience doing this whole thing so I'm driving blind :lol: and don't know what boring out to 82 will affect.

Everything else will be as close to stock as possible

Last edited:

Nick_C78

I forget what pistons rs machine offers in 82mm. Youll want flat tops if possible. So p72. If not, get p73. It has less comp than pr3. Boring 1mm over won't mess with your tune much. People use stock ls tune on b20 all the time.

Nick_C78

I thiught they had more. I own a pair of 82mm b16 pistons from them....

Those should be fine though. That small of a compression bump isn't going to wreck your tune. Its when you change cams and injectors and shit that you start killing the fuel maps

Ryan659

Their website is wrong (or too vague) then :lol:

On password jdm they have the b16's in 82

Last edited:

Ryan659

Goodies!!

Gotta drop the piston heads to the machinist and then the block will be put together.

They also came with rings but no pics of those.