Building a GSR

Ryan659

Been going through the box of misc from buying the engine and have a few questions for anyone.

1st: what was the PO blocking off with this contraption?

2nd: what is this thing? It kind of looks like the evap box that's by the battery but the top has some prongs for something to be plugged into

3rd: the book I bought mentions checking the three coolant plugs on the block when getting the block back from the machinist but Google has only produced info about the one on the front of the block near the stamp. Where are the other two??

Last edited:

R13

The other asshole
Been going through the box of misc from buying the engine and have a few questions for anyone.

1st: what was the PO blocking off with this contraption?

3rd: the book I bought mentions checking the three coolant plugs on the block when getting the block back from the machinist but Google has only produced info about the one on the front of the block near the stamp. Where are the other two??
Oil cooler

You can get a pipe that doesn't have the fitting for that, mine doesn't have it.

Freeze plugs. On the back of the block. 14mm allen wrench. Seal with hondabond. Look up the torque spec, or just tighten to like 50-75ft-lbs probably.

There's also supposed to be one in that hole below the right one in that pic, looks like this.

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
freeze plugs arent coolant though its direct to the crank case.

Ryan659

freeze plugs arent coolant though its direct to the crank case.

Doesn't coolant flow through there though? Anticipating potential leak areas.

Side note: Also found out why the PO plugged it, he had that neck on a b20 that didn't have an oil cooler.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
no coolant flows at the back. That shouldnt be removed ever. Never heard of it leaking either. If youre worried, unplug it and get the ARP thread sealer and throw it back on. Theres a coolant freeze plug in the front of the block, never had an issue with that one and i drain coolant out of that one. Just torque it to spec, again if youre worried throw arp thread sealer on. Main point of leakage will be the front corner dizzy side of the block. Always leaks there idk why. Just torque the head down really well. make sure the main seal is pressed in well, and then replace all hoses. VAC and coolant. Use the good hose clamps that require an 8mm socket or screwdriver to tighten and not the OEM spring clamps.

R13

The other asshole
You're right about those back plugs Dylan, there is no reason to mess with them under normal circumstances. He was saying the book mentioned checking them though as in incase the machine shop messed with them, or perhaps the guy who tore the engine apart messed with them.

Did you get the factory oil cooler with this engine Ryan?

Ryan659

no coolant flows at the back. That shouldnt be removed ever. Never heard of it leaking either. If youre worried, unplug it and get the ARP thread sealer and throw it back on. Theres a coolant freeze plug in the front of the block, never had an issue with that one and i drain coolant out of that one. Just torque it to spec, again if youre worried throw arp thread sealer on. Main point of leakage will be the front corner dizzy side of the block. Always leaks there idk why. Just torque the head down really well. make sure the main seal is pressed in well, and then replace all hoses. VAC and coolant. Use the good hose clamps that require an 8mm socket or screwdriver to tighten and not the OEM spring clamps.

Ohhhhh :thumbs up

stupid book :lol:

You're right about those back plugs Dylan, there is no reason to mess with them under normal circumstances. He was saying the book mentioned checking them though as in incase the machine shop messed with them, or perhaps the guy who tore the engine apart messed with them.

Did you get the factory oil cooler with this engine Ryan?

Yea, it came with the OEM one. It threw me off with it being bypassed though, makes it seem like the cooler was bad.

I might throw a sandwich plate in there for some sensors.

R13

The other asshole
Mine doesn't have an oil cooler, never been an issue for me. :lol:

The track sluts are really the only ones that need oil coolers.

Ryan659

Got the short block back from the machine shop today

And here's a quick pic of the head

And I've decided to do a semi bought not built build. I'll do more of the cosmetic stuff and leave the engine to the professionals.

Dropping off all the pieces to a highly recommended shop here and they are going to assemble it and drop it in. While the engine bay empty I'm prob gonna have them delete the ABS also and prob do a wire tuck.

Not going to be anything fancy engine wise but the bay will be cleaned up a lot

Last edited: