Driving Techniques: Double-Clutch Downshifting

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I, personally, don't use my heel, per-say. Most people, I think, use the side of there foot to blip the throttle. I used to try and bend my heel over and that made it very difficult to rev match.You can still put down a lot of pressure on the brake with just the ball of your foot and big toe!
Double clutch is something I have to work on since my tranny is going out. Fourth gear is a bitch to hit when the RPM's are running high and the double clutch helps, but I am still a lil sloppy. It's just practice and more practice.
I've been putting a decent amount of focus to left foot braking as well; it helps in traffic when you aren't switching gears or anything :thumbs up

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I'm 6'4, I have size 15 shoes, and im to big to get my foot across to heal and toe :(
you can just use your bridge and roll over you dont need to use your "heel and toe" to heel toe downshift. big toe on brake little toe on gas. problem solved pleanty of drivers do this, even Ayerton Sena. little jdm people have small feet so we need to use our heel, rather i use the side of my foot.

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
No, as there's no rev-matching when up shifting.
I think he is asking about just double-clutching rather than double-clutching and rev matching. I have to do that sometimes because my trans is going out, but it is not advantageous because it adds time to your shift. IMO; but I'm still not clear on the purpose of double-clutch rather than heel-toe, other than saving your synchros

DC4twokone

Resident Hoodrat
Revving before putting a car into gear (letting out clutch) puts more strain on the clutch, which is why they say this helps, but for up shifting it really adds time and doesn't warrant much use unless you're fast as lighting.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Yeah i heel toe all the time, its natural for me now. My pedals are a bit worn for sometimes my feet come off and i feel like shit cause my tranny just popped haha but its fun! You use your clutch twice as more if you double clutch... so youre just wearing out your clutch instead of your trannsmission.. haha idk but i feel like trying to start double clutching for fun!

But hey im in high school and am pretty good at heel toein so just keep practicin! :D

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
Yeah i heel toe all the time, its natural for me now. My pedals are a bit worn for sometimes my feet come off and i feel like shit cause my tranny just popped haha but its fun! You use your clutch twice as more if you double clutch... so youre just wearing out your clutch instead of your trannsmission.. haha idk but i feel like trying to start double clutching for fun!

But hey im in high school and am pretty good at heel toein so just keep practicin! :D
As stated above, it is worse to put power through your clutch than to double clutch. Friction, young sir

fly_to_sky

damn nice video. i have to repeat the part when he downshift to see the double clutch . I was like is this double clutch?? lol

ramblin_wreck08

Curves > Straights
Amazing footwork. Thanks for sharing. Only been driving stick for about a month now, and that gives me a ultimate goal to shoot for. lol

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
its not hard. learn revmatching first.
Revmatching is ridiculously hard... the faster you go the higher the rpms until you shift. Thats why i dont really like double clutching.. because sometimes ill rev when in neutral but my car is going faster than what i though so the rpms bounce back up and get me a good jerk. Just seems way too hard.. i dont get how you get that good at revmatching when you just blip the gas and have to get it perfect.