Driving Techniques: Double-Clutch Downshifting

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I used to always left foot brake when I was driving an automatic, haven't tried it with a manual yet.
When I first started driving, I was used to go-carts, so left foot braking was easy in an auto; but now with a manuel, I'm used to pushing the clutch in, so the finesse has been forgotten with me left foot, for the most part.

Revmatching is ridiculously hard... the faster you go the higher the rpms until you shift. Thats why i dont really like double clutching.. because sometimes ill rev when in neutral but my car is going faster than what i though so the rpms bounce back up and get me a good jerk. Just seems way too hard.. i dont get how you get that good at revmatching when you just blip the gas and have to get it perfect.
Learn how to heel-toe first. Double clutch is a step above that and is quite difficult. There are a lot of situations when you can just rev match without braking at the same time to get a feel where your RPM's will be. Pay a lot of attention to where your RPM's end-up after an up shift; after a while you won't need to focus on your RPM gauge, it will be all in the feel and sound of the RPM's

96PurpGS-R

LOLUMAD?
[YOUTUBE="BMW M3 E36 quad camera setup - heel toe driving"]Ocrvaw3d4UM[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

ryanDC

so hard to do wtf, ive been trying to practice

blackviper

newb question lol

I see what double clutch shifting is, but heel toe? Looks to me hes shifting normal but then he hits the clutch with his heel, then eases off and lets go at the toe?....im a bit confused haha. cause when im driving stick, i just hit the clutch, shift, let go of clutch.

bigcurt

newb question lol

I see what double clutch shifting is, but heel toe? Looks to me hes shifting normal but then he hits the clutch with his heel, then eases off and lets go at the toe?....im a bit confused haha. cause when im driving stick, i just hit the clutch, shift, let go of clutch.
Heel-toe= pressing the brake pedal with your toe and using you heel to press the gas for rev matching while double clutching because youre usually slowing down when you double clutch so you need to hit the brake and the gas at the same time and Heel-toe is the best way to do it.

blackviper

Heel-toe= pressing the brake pedal with your toe and using you heel to press the gas for rev matching while double clutching because youre usually slowing down when you double clutch so you need to hit the brake and the gas at the same time and Heel-toe is the best way to do it.
ahh thanks! i might have to try this heel toe technique. Double clutching looks insane though!