My db7 project build aka hellafresh

k20wagon

I own a 97 integra ls 4 door that's automatic. Its mainly our family car since we have a 2 yr old and one on the way. We bought this teg for dirt cheap and ran good for a while till now. We started having over heating issues with it and change thermostat and didn't work, we tried to diagnoss it and finally found out it was a bad headgasket. Well I changed the head gasket along with rebuilding it. Resurfaced it, pressure checked it and also changed the valve seals and so forth. Well got it together and ran good but water in the oil. So we find out the block is cracked so we are going thru a block build to.

So first start off with the motor removal out of the car.

Got it hooked up to the hoist.

Now I got to tearing the block apart and got it apart and started to clean all the parts. Put all bolts and parts in the parts cleaner and got them nice and clean looking brand new. Also got the pistons and sand blasted the tops of them and amazing results.

Got pics of all the pistons cleaned and crank cleaned.

I have more to come here in a min, I have tons of pics and stuff so bare with me.

k20wagon

So after I got all parts and brackets clean and everything I decided I want to paint some of the brackets and parts. I decided to paint them wrinkle black. Here are some of the parts.

Went and picked up the new short block.

And started the tearing apart of this one as well.

Now this block was dirty as shit and so I got a lot of degreaser and a toothbrush to clean it and here is the end result.

Got some parts from honda, picked up piston rings, oil pan gasket, oil pump, rear main seal, and oil filter. Also picked up more paint and thermostat with gasket.

Also got timing belt kit in the mail.

Next I got to honing the new block, I started off and got some of it done but I was using a cordless drill and the battery died on me.

After the battery died I went ahead and decided to take it to get decked and pressure checked before I got it completely done. I got the block back and honed it the rest of the way.

After the hone I went and got carb cleaner and cleaned out all of the shavings out of all the cylinders. I also checked the final bore, ptw and piston ring end gap. The ptw spec was .002 and the piston ring end gap spec was .006-.014 and both checked out. Stay tooned for even more coming up.

k20wagon

Now I am at the point where I can start assembling everything so went and picked up new main bearings and rod bearings along with assembly lube and more carb cleaner. I started to use carb cleaner on the pistons, block, and crank to get ready for installation. I sprayed the blocks main bearing oil passages good and installed the main bearings and thrust bearings and lubed them up.

Also lubed up the crankshaft.

Now I got to put the crankshaft in and checked the crank end play, the spec was .004-.014 and was .006 so it checked ok.

Grabbed the main bearing caps and put the bearings on them and lubed them up and also lubed up the bolts and installed them torqueing them down to its specs and also in correct order. Torque specs was 24 ft lbs then 58 ft lbs.

Now I got to the pistons but only had time to install one. I got tranni fluid and lubed up the first cylinder really good. I then put the rings on the first piston and positioned them right on the piston and lubed them up with tranni fluid. Got the ring compressor and tightened it down. Put the rod bearing on it and lubed it up. Grapped the connecting rod cap and installed the bearing on it with lube. Then put the rod down through the cylinder with the arrow facing the side of the block the timing belt goes on. Then knocked it down into the cylinder with a rubber mallet. Put the connecting rod cap on and torqued it down to spec. Torque spec was 15 ft lbs then 24 ft lbs.

And the wife being crazy lol.

That's all I have done so far but stayed tooned and I will keep you all updated. Thanks for viewing.

k20wagon

I definitely have a long ways to go, after this motor build I will be putting on coilovers, getting rims, rear window visor, hid kit, bigger sway bars, beaks tie bar, powerslot rotors, hawk pads, exhaust, header, intake, 5 speed tranni, vtec head and tons more. Ya so I have a long ways to go and will definitely keep you all updated the whole way.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
Looks so Damn good man.

Sent from my EVO with tapatalk.

k20wagon

I have always been a fan and love viewing build threads and this is my first build thread. Right now the motor being rebuilt is what I am doing now mainly cause we need it running but as soon as the start of next year a lot more is going to come. As soon as that this build thread will be really picking up. Now though its got a lot to go through, motor rebuilt, coilovers install, need a new cv joint and also need to press in another lug cause one snapped.

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Clean ass teg man! Yea, might as well do the most you can while the engine is out! That's what I did! Looking good though! Can't wait to see what's next!

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
nice to see you're converting it to manual :thumbs up

family ride with a little kick, DB POWA!!!!

k20wagon

Clean ass teg man! Yea, might as well do the most you can while the engine is out! That's what I did! Looking good though! Can't wait to see what's next!
I would if I had the cash man but I already spent a lot on the motor rebuild.

nice to see you're converting it to manual :thumbs up

family ride with a little kick, DB POWA!!!!
Haha definitely, my little boy already loves it when I get on it every once and a while in the ep3.