My db7 project build aka hellafresh

k20wagon

Next I got all pistons in, crank baffle, oil pump and water pump on. First started out with piston 2 and did the same process as the first one, put the rings in order and lubed up with tranni fluid. Put the spring compressor on it and put the bearing on the rod and lubed it up with engine assembly lube. Put tranni fluid in the cylinder and put the rod down into it and hammered it in place and put the rod cap on with the bearing and torqued down to 24 ft lbs. Pics are started with piston 3.

And the finish product of all pistons in.

After all pistons where in I got the cranke baffle and put it on and torqued it down to the specs which is 98 in lbs.

Now comes the oil pump, sadly honda didn't provide me with the o ring or the gasket for the oil pump screen. I found a new o ring round the shop so I got to put on the oil pump on. Got the rtv gasket maker and put it on the block and the oil pump and mounted it on. Put all the bolts in and torqued it down to specs. The smaller 10 mm bolts are torqued down to 96 in lbs and the bigger 12 mm bolts are torqued to 17 ft lbs.

Next came the water pump, put the rtv gasket maker on the block and the water pump and put the o ring on. Mounted it on and torqued the bolts down to specs which where 106 in lbs.

And now the finished product for today.

More to come.

Last edited:

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Very clean engine! It makes the job so much simpler when you have a engine stand! LOL! Wish I really had one when I did mine!

k20wagon

Update for today, went and ordered the oil pick up gasket. Will be here tomorrow. Got the head on today and cams in. Today I put the head in the parts washer and got it clean and air hoses it dry. Got the head basket put it on along with the dial pins. Last time seeing it just the block.

Got the head on after that and lubed up the head bolts and torque them down to specs, 22 ft lbs then 63 foot lbs.

Next came installing the rocker arms and cams. Lubed up the rocker arms and put them in as well as lubing the cam bearing journals. Lubed up the cams and put them on. Grabbed the cam bearing caps and lubed them up and put them on torque to specs which is 88 in lbs. And as you seen got the wife doing some work today haha.

And the finished product also with some other stuff on for the timing belt.

Would of got timing belt on but need to turn the crank like a notch for the crank timing pulley to match up to the oil pump and I left the crank pulley bolt at the house. But tomorrow timing belt on and also oil pan and will be very close to being install time.

k20wagon

Some more progress for today, got oil pan on and also the timing belt. The timing belt was being a pain in the ass, it kept slipping as I was rotating the crank 2 full rotations but finally got it. First thing I did though was putting the oil pick up on since I got the gasket today. I first poured oil in the pump so it will be primed. Then put the gasket on and bolted the pick up to its specs 98 in lbs.

Next I put on the rear main seal so I can put the oil pan on. Got rtv and placed it on. I couldn't torque it down since the stand was in the way but tightened to he good and snug since don't have to be torque much. Got the oil pan gasket and then the oil pan and torque bolts to spec 106 in lbs.

Now the timing belt which I finally got perfect, I lined up the crank timing pulley lined the line up to the dot on the oil pump and lined up the cams with the holes and put pins in the holes so it wouldn't move. Put the belt on and tightened the tensioner and turned the crank full two turns counter clockwise and still checked out.

And now finished product today. I also put on some brackets and other things to get that out of the way.

More to come tomorrow, gonna finish up and put everything else on and probably will sand blast the valve cover and repaint it.

Last edited:

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Are these all stock parts you putting on? It's like your making a DIY thread on how to build an engine! LOL!

k20wagon

Are these all stock parts you putting on? It's like your making a DIY thread on how to build an engine! LOL!
Ya its all stock parts and this build is just beginning lol, I have along ways to go. But ya you can consider this a DIY as well. I have put a lot of info on here just in case someone needs to go by it.

k20wagon

Today going to put on the intake mani, intake mani bracket, timing belt cover, put all brackets on that needs to be on, valve cover, distributor and I think just a little more and it should be ready to drop right in.

k20wagon

Alright guys got little bit done today. The engine stand got screwed up today so that's the reason why I got it leaned so its balanced. But I put the intake mani on, timing cover, driverside mount, alternater brackets along with the alternater, filled up the oil filter with oil and put it on and a couple of other things.

I also got the valve cover today and started to clean it. I put it in the parts washer and got it nice and clean. I still need to sand blast it but gonna wait to paint the valve cover till the motor is in the car.

Last edited:

k20wagon

Thanks man and I am just lucky cause her whole family loves cars and stuff so she grew up round it.