Official Safety Discussion Thread

dlo253

I am kinda happy I have a DA, for no airbags. Yes they help, but they can also kill you. Then again, anything can these days.

Spettro

Kimi who?

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
Same thing with a racing wheel though. I compromised the safety of my car when I installed the momo wheel, considering I have a stock belt
Agreed, I want a nice looking wood grain, but I like my saftey.

On a track note, I plan on getting a helmet, under 100. Any suggestions?

I seen one at the good ol walmart for like 50 bucks, dot approved. Is this ok for buttonwillow? That really the only track I plan on going to. Summer is coming...

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
And obviously the donut isn't ideal, but it seems like it would make more of a difference than not having one. Plus it's only like $40, so not going to break my pockets

Spettro

Kimi who?
Save up some more and get something higher quality than a $100 helmet. You get what you pay for. You should be able to find sales on helmets from time to time from race equipment shops. Fitment should take priority over price, so go somewhere where you can actually try the helmet on and find a sale associate to assist you with making sure it fits correctly. When you buy a helmet it should be extremely tight because the padding is going to wear out over time.

Dylan I don't know what Gagan uses. I've seen the picture, but I'm pretty sure he only runs that for LeMons because he's required to.

pluckt007

Shops in ca usually just carry car parts. Ill do the research, just show me where to look. The reason I said walmart is because I dont see a lot of helmets in person, its usually jegs, summit, or some internet site. It is dot approved... I only plan on track day like once a year, if that matters.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Agreed, I want a nice looking wood grain, but I like my saftey.

I seen one at the good ol walmart for like 50 bucks, dot approved. Is this ok for buttonwillow? That really the only track I plan on going to. Summer is coming...
save save save. There are subtle differences between the two helmets, and how they are rated. The car ones have nomex in them. I think having nomex in a helmet is a bonus.

Save up some more and get something higher quality than a $100 helmet. You get what you pay for. You should be able to find sales on helmets from time to time from race equipment shops. Fitment should take priority over price, so go somewhere where you can actually try the helmet on and find a sale associate to assist you with making sure it fits correctly. When you buy a helmet it should be extremely tight because the padding is going to wear out over time.

Dylan I don't know what Gagan uses. I've seen the picture, but I'm pretty sure he only runs that for LeMons because he's required to.
Yeah i got the G Force helmet from a shop up here. Best thing ever. Ive seen him use it at thunderhill. I want to say its a G force thing.

Shops in ca usually just carry car parts. Ill do the research, just show me where to look. The reason I said walmart is because I dont see a lot of helmets in person, its usually jegs, summit, or some internet site. It is dot approved... I only plan on track day like once a year, if that matters.
if you come to Sacramento ill take you to where i got my helmet. Its an actual car helmet that is HANS ready.

Spettro

Kimi who?
I'm assuming you're from Southern CA, I'm from Northern CA so I don't know any specific shops down there, but I'm sure you could find someone down there that does.

Once a year or once a week, doesn't matter. All it takes is one mistake to crash, and the mistake doesn't have to be directly related to your driving. Tire failure, brake failure, engine failure, other drivers, debris, the list goes on and on of what can cause a wreck. Not worth the risk. Most nice helmets are approved up to 10 years from their SA date, so if you buy a brand new SA2010 helmet, you can run it until 2020 safely. So even if you spend $300-400 on a real car racing helmet on the lowest end of the price scale, you're still only paying ~$50 a year to be safe.

pluckt007

if you come to Sacramento ill take you to where i got my helmet. Its an actual car helmet that is HANS ready.
You cant say thing like that to me. Ill show up lol

Drive right up the five. Summer is coming up, im not teaching summer school this year...

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I'm assuming you're from Southern CA, I'm from Northern CA so I don't know any specific shops down there, but I'm sure you could find someone down there that does.

Once a year or one a week, doesn't matter. All it takes is one mistake to crash, and the mistake doesn't have to be directly related to your driving. Tire failure, brake failure, engine failure, other drivers, debris, the list goes on and on of what can cause a wreck. Not worth the risk. Most nice helmets are approved up to 10 years from their SA date, so if you buy a brand new SA2010 helmet, you can run it until 2020 safely. So even if you spend $300-400 on a real car racing helmet on the lowest end of the price scale, you're still only paying ~$50 a year to be safe.
If youre in So Cal Contact Elton Lo, or Matt aka jdmxdb8 and ask how much the pyrotect helmets are. Raceline USA carries those helmets.