Can't pull the head off my b18c1. HELP!!

BankiBoi

If you got all the bolts out then Idk man something has it stuck shouldn't be anything major, the dowel pins shouldn't be the issue

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

CH33Z3B4LL3R

Success!! the IM studs had calcium deposits on the underside making it catch. cleaned them up and off came the head. now. my valves and guides physically look ok. if I pour water into the channels and it doesn't leak through, does that mean my valves are seating?

FYI I have not done this yet.. waiting to hear feedback incase somebody stops me from doing something stupid

BankiBoi

Just have a shop take a look at it since its off

Posted by Thunderbolt using tapatalk

CH33Z3B4LL3R

the head is perfectly fine!
found a bent rod and a piston head wit a clean crack in it tho.. how does that happen?!

TheMyth

You can pour gas in the runners to check your valves seats. Water won't go through small cracks as where gas will. But glad you found your other issues.

Kyle

I dont think mpg will drop much. Going to depend on how heavily modded you are and so far it doesnt seem like it will be. Its simpler to keep your compression stock if youre going turbo but high comp turbo setups have been done. Think of it as needing the right ingredients to make a formula. Imo if you arent competition racing, keep it simple unless you have a goal for no other purpose than its what you want to do.
I agree, keep it simple. I personally don't see the point of putting ITR pistons in your car for a minimal C/R gain and hp. Put that towards some Skunk2 Pro C cams which will give you probably twice as much HP.

mirrorimg

Cams are made to be used with a specific compression ratio in mind for NA cams. That would need to be kept in mind when making a purchase.

djv1986

the gsr engine has a knock sensor to adjust timing due to fuel.. i wouldnt really worry about the 87 octance being ran in the car

CH33Z3B4LL3R

I agree, keep it simple. I personally don't see the point of putting ITR pistons in your car for a minimal C/R gain and hp. Put that towards some Skunk2 Pro C cams which will give you probably twice as much HP.
i ended up going wit itr pistons and eagle rods to build the block up. in the near future im goin to start on the head internals yes. but not sure where to start shopping..

if I wanted to achieve no more than 280-325whp on say 8psi. wat turbo setup should I be looking into? I want a car that's fun to drive, but not necessarily race very often.

I'll try to put a pic up but if u can see these pistons.. well let's jus say I can't describe them but theyre flaking hardcore.

on a side note: how do I remove the girdle? can I pry it off if the 6 studs are out?

Last edited:

djv1986

You should beable to the girdle has Dowell pins in it but when taking apart the bottom end take note on the numbers on each rod and where it came out of. The engine used numbers and letter to use crank bearings from the factory unless u have machined.

CH33Z3B4LL3R

SHIIT!!! is there a way to tell which rod went into which sleeve? my cat knocked the small box my cranks were in on the ground

72Spitfire

I have always connected the battery and simply bumped the starter, the compression stroke will pop the head loose every time.