First the bulbs, then I had to dremel the lens off because just like the headlights it was super glued on, now the vinyl wrap is impossible to work with and I’ve wasted half the roll trying to get it right. Shit is not pliable at all, heatgun does very little...
I’m gonna give it a rest and try one more time later or another day, but I’ll probably just end up throwing in the trim rings and giving up.
I ended up cutting the odometer button off so there’s a hole in the lens
LMR sells the bezel and lens for $35-$40, I’ll use this one for now, and next time I’ll buy a precut overlay and either use it, or trace it and reapply the vinyl.
I’m not even sure I wanna try removing the actual gauge face to sand the blue film off... Unless the gauges recalibrate themselves it’s hard as fuck to get the needles back on exactly where they came off.
There is a way to calibrate the gauges, I have to pull the back off and wire a 9v battery to the needle motors though... one by one.
Fuck it for now, this whole thing was a disaster, and ended up being a complete hack job. It’s not super noticeable (I’ll post a pic in a minute) but I know how bad it’s fucked up, and that’s not how I like to do things. I’ll pick it back up whenever I get over being mad about it and regain my self esteem.
Thankfully LMR does indeed still sell the bezel and lens for $34.99, so I won’t have to go junkyard or eBay surfing.
It was almost fine despite the trouble... until I went to it this morning...
Yeah... I guess the glue I used puts off fumes or some shit, because I wiped it clean with a microfiber before I put it together, and made sure it stayed clean until it was reinstalled... I fucking give up. I hope a semi shoves me off a cliff so I can be dead and maybe find some actual fucking peace for once.
It’s all over the chrome rings and the vinyl. I just removed it and tried to clean it up and so far I think it just ruined everything because it’s not even trying to wipe off. If I can separate the lens again without shattering it I’ll try alcohol.