The 400 Club

squarehead

Old guy
So with gas prices seemingly not interested in rising anytime soon, many people have recently posted here and elsewhere a LOT about improving mileage and getting better distance for your dollar. I've been in the same boat lately, too.

Coming from a long-time performance car background, and recently owning a Jeep Cherokee for my short daily commute to my old job, I wasn't too concerned about it. Recently, though, a new business in a new location put me back on the highways of Chicago with a 32-mile commute. Tired of spending $65 every 3 days on gas, I sold my truck and bought a '96 GS-R. Frankly, I wish I would have done it sooner. I love the car, and the massive improvement in mileage has been inspiring, to say the least. Not to mention that this car is stupid fun to drive, too.

Plenty of mileage threads here discuss everyone's "tank" mileage, and there are a LOT of guys here who get really terrible mileage with their Integras. I was shocked to see some of the numbers. Aggressive driving, bad maintenance, heavy modifications and plenty of other reasons contribute to that, but surprisingly few people are getting really good mileage with a car that should be well above 25 mpg everyday.

The last tank of gas I intentionally dropped my cruising speed on the highways on the way to work down from 75 mph to 65 mph. It was hard at first, but the result was an inspiring 1.7 mpg improvement. And that was with a bit of "spirited" driving thrown in there, as well. This tank got an average of 31.6 mpg.

With a 13.2 gallon tank, my calculations show that it would be possible to get just over 417 miles to a tank before running it dry. Leaving .8 of a gallon in the tank before a fill-up would get me to the 400 mark.

So who here has been able to see the 400 mark on a single tank of gas?

I think it's a reasonable goal to aspire to. Saving gas, driving smoother, being less aggressive, spending less money, better maintenance on your car, and many other benefits are all things we should be trying to accomplish. I think it should be a challenge to see how many miles you can get on a tank, and 400 is a reasonable goal. I'm going to try to drive smoother and more conservative this tank and see if I can get closer to the mark. Can you?

There is a great online resource for tracking cost, mileage and every statistic on your gas consumption at http://www.fuelly.com. It's free and it is kind of interesting to track. I'm not a hyper-miler by any means, but while we all are watching outgoing cash today, it seems like a natural place to look to save a bit of cash when you can.

So, who's in for the 400 Club?

doug

mjones73

I didn't realize the tank was that large, mine is sitting on E with the light on after I go through about 10 1/2 gallons. Mine needs a tune up and is averaging about 28MPG with my driving behaviors. That's with 160k+ on the motor. I may be able to squeeze it more once I get it tuned up and if I change my driving habits some.

squarehead

Old guy
That's about where my E light comes on. Having a new-to-me car, I have been tentative to push too much further past that, but filling between 9.5 and 10.5 gallons at a time, I know there is still a lot left in the tank. Another ~3 gallons or so gets you another 90 miles, at least, if you are getting 30+.

Matt Parsons

I'm averaging about 24/30 city/highway. Slightly better than EPA estimates, I suppose, but I was getting 28-36 when I first got the car...

gs300cky

best i did was when i first bought it and i was only achieving 300 top. best i did was 33mpg. then again i live in the mile high so less air here but also im more lead foot. i have 182k on my engine

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
I get 400 easily, perks of being in Canada is distance is measured in kilometers, not miles. In miles I only get about 250. I had a civic EG and I would average about 440 miles to the tank in that.

whitedc4

i have 250k on my motor lol i don't think anyone knows that but i do and i've gotten 44 miles to the gallon before when i was driving strictly on highway and filling up every 180 miles just before it reached half tank. i have hit 380 before but i don't like seeing the needle so close to the E and i am always scared my gas light doesn't work and so i never push it.

whenever i use any type of spirited driving or when getting on the highway i punch it to make sure i get in front of that guy whose inches away i usually don't go past 350 but i've never gotten under 30 mpg so that confuses me i live in town and i drive in town all the time but i never see anything lower than 30 mpgs

alex14

VEEEETTAAAAKKKK!!! lol
I get about 30-31mpg in my GSR, and I refill right around the 300 mile mark.

JemmieN

not a girl lol
i have 250k on my motor lol i don't think anyone knows that but i do and i've gotten 44 miles to the gallon before when i was driving strictly on highway and filling up every 180 miles just before it reached half tank. i have hit 380 before but i don't like seeing the needle so close to the E and i am always scared my gas light doesn't work and so i never push it.

whenever i use any type of spirited driving or when getting on the highway i punch it to make sure i get in front of that guy whose inches away i usually don't go past 350 but i've never gotten under 30 mpg so that confuses me i live in town and i drive in town all the time but i never see anything lower than 30 mpgs
Stop using your hax. It's not fair!

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
I can usually get about 34 on my GS, not too shabby. So going by your size of the tank, I make it lol

I usually get 250-270.. depending on if I am driving around the city.. I have gotten 330-340 when it is strictly highway, but then again that was going 70 all the way...

is it just me or does it seem like the gas light never comes on? I have gotten the tank to just a little above E and still no light...maybe mine needs a new bulb?

JemmieN

not a girl lol
Hax = Hacks = Cheating = Not Fair.
Hacks are used on some video games which involves coding and tampering with the system.
Example : Counter-Strike