The 400 Club

asteadydecline

I get about 31 mpg on the highway, and the most I've ever gotten to a tank was 312. I actually took a picture of it because it was my first tank over 300. My gas light wasn't on or anything, but I was about on E.

squarehead

Old guy
I get about 31 mpg on the highway, and the most I've ever gotten to a tank was 312. I actually took a picture of it because it was my first tank over 300. My gas light wasn't on or anything, but I was about on E.
I found that the E gas light comes on with almost exactly 2 gallons left in the tank. 31mpg is pretty close, but you need to be a little higher than that to be more comfortable. That comes from just slowing down, really. I dropped my average speed on highway trips from 75 mph to 65 mph and got a healthy 3-4 mpg increase over the life of a tank.

With gas prices still causing painful rashes country-wide, every little bit helps.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
my gas mileage blows. im getting 19-22 avg city. i just replace my O2 sensor so hopefully that will help. but i have bad rod bearings, 225lb stereo and then there is my 240lbs so its gotta work it.

00DC2TW

my gas mileage blows. im getting 19-22 avg city. i just replace my O2 sensor so hopefully that will help. but i have bad rod bearings, 225lb stereo and then there is my 240lbs so its gotta work it.
bad rod bearings? and your car drives?

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
ya. there is a little knock at start up but she still runs pretty strong. lol

squarehead

Old guy
Anyone else get close to 400 yet? Summer driving, summer tires, better gas at the pumps = more opportunity for better mileage.

Alvi84

Last attempt I had was 270 miles to 8.75 gallons - 30 mpg and drove slower than any grandma has ever thought about driving - 96 Gs-R with 52k on my motor and some bolt ons. I had 200 miles on the half tank but the 2nd half of the tank always seems to just go by so much faster.

squarehead

Old guy
Just wanted to follow-up a little here after a while of really studying what affects the mileage (for me) on the GS-R. I have had a few more 400+ mile tanks, without really much effort this summer, and just this morning filled up at 417 miles on the tank as the fuel light just came on. I averaged 35 mpg on this last tank.

Over the last few months of daily commuting (mostly highway driving), I found that you can get better mileage with higher tire pressures (.2 - .4 mpg), drafting larger vehicles (.2 - .3 mpg), keeping the car clean and waxed, (.1 - .2 mpg) and general coasting, short-shifting, etc is all marginal. The absolute MASSIVE chunk of generating extra mileage on a tank is simply just going slower and not driving the car on the redline all the time.

I recently slowed my average mph on the highway commute to work from 75-80 mph to 60-65 mph, and get there within minutes of my overall commute time, and the mileage jumped a dramatic 3-4 mpg per tank. I went from averaging 30.5 to 31.5 mpg to well over 34 mpg every time now.

It's a pretty simple formula, actually. Better mileage = less fuel consumption. Slow down and you'll save.

91tegwitgsr

The only time I know I could have hit 400 on a tank was in my old 89 teg....she went almost 300 miles on just a quarter tank of gas. It had the stock motor and I was doing 65-70 the whole trip.

04caliwrx

I drive about 80% freeway and do a 60 mile drive every... 30 to work and 30 home. I have a lead foot and love the vtec. I would say I drive about 75mph and can get 370 miles (still with no gas light on) will up with 10.5 gallons thats 35.2 mpg's! the best I have ever got was on my drive from SF to Las Vegas. I got 437 miles and the last 10 was on the light, I filled up with 11.9 gallons of gas so that 36.7 mpg. I feel that the car runs like new and only has 111,500 miles on it.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
04cali...specs on your car? Stock, built, tuned...? I drive agressive, but mine is built, and I'm only running a basemap for my setup so it runs really rich. I was getting around 26, but that was with 3 bent exhaust valves...