The 400 Club

whitedc4

and no offense I call BS on this post no way in hell can you pull that off my old eg6 had no ac and no ps and was completely gutted head to toe(curb weight was 1700lbs 1k less than a teg) with a fresh rebuilt b18b1 and i drove like a sane person shifting at 2.5-3k and only got 34-35

maybe this b18 wasn't as "fresh" as you felt it was. i get 44 mpg i have ps ac and 250k miles. however i don't let my gas tank see below a half tank usually i don't know how or why but i get better when i keep it above half tank.

i have several people who have seen my car get 44mpg and they freak out but it's pretty normal for me and i drive 80 usually on cruise the whole time.

squarehead

Old guy
I'm pretty sure 44 mpg isn't realistic in any of these cars. How exactly are you calculating your mileage with half-tank fill-ups? Stock tires and gearing?

squarehead

Old guy
Pushing 345 miles on this tank this morning before the fuel light has come on. I have a 32 mile ride home, and I'm already plotting where I will stop for gas at some point today. I'm getting nervous, even though I know that it will come on with at least 2 gallons left in the tank (60+ miles).

This is going to be hard to do. :???:

gs300cky

ive got 1/8 tank left and im just under 300miles now... and thats with maybe a handful of spirited drives so 5-10 and then every shift is 2500rpm.
idk if the stop and go traffic i drive in kills it but there is no chance in hell im getting 40mpg. so idk how everyone else does... and Rachel go full all the way to empty on your next tank cuz i was "told" you cant get accurate readings by doing half tank fill ups

squarehead

Old guy
Whelp, I chickened out before heading home last night and stopped to fill up. I got to 347 miles and filled up 11.2 gallons—which theoretically leaves exactly 2 gallons left in the tank and ~62 miles left until empty. It could have done 400, but I'm not ready to gamble yet. I am going to drive a little different this tank and see if I can stretch my mileage at least 1 mpg to hit the magic 400 mile number.

Might need to keep a fresh gallon of gas in the trunk towards the end of the tank, just in case. :shock:

covert_Con

Senior Ricer
Im pushing 355 miles on regular unleaded at this point, filled her up last week on monday. I dont really drive that much, and I try not to rev it real high as I know that will decrease the mileage pretty drastically. Most of the driving is to and from school, and I found out my thermostat is about to go. Would that affect gas mileage?

squarehead

Old guy
So I rolled into the office this morning with the clock showing 381 on this tank and the gas light hasn't even come on yet. It will probably come on pretty soon after I leave this evening, but it comes on (for me) with 2 gallons left in the tank. So I'm pretty sure I'm not only going to hit it, but smash into the 400 range today. Estimated range at this point on this tank is ~445 miles.

After I do it tonight, I'll post a photo of the odo and the gas receipt after fill-up and I'll explain all of the little things I did since I filled up last Tuesday. The biggest gain was keeping highway driving between 60-65mph, easily.

More later...

doug

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Not sure if having a second gen makes any difference in fuel consumption. But I averaged it out, I can get ~422 miles to the tank if ran dry. I average 32mpg with a lead foot, gs300cky can verify my heavy foot. I am obd0 (not sure if efficiency has increased over the obd changes). I had 241.7 miles on the trip odometer, filled up, and took 7.513 gallons, super of course. So with some rounding and predictions......240mi / 7.5gal = 32mpg. 32mpg * 13.2gal =422.4mi per tank. I am also running some BG44k right now in this tank. So I'll post my increases on the tank after this one. I could hit the 450 mark easily if I didn't shift @ 4500-5500 every gear. I won't ever hit that due to the fact that I'm paranoid about being stranded. But hopefully now that my system is clean, I can post some big numbers. Oh, and I just rolled over to 152k on my way to work today. Never been rebuilt, 90% factory parts from the day it was created. Obvious tune up parts have been changed, and tbelt. Sri and 2" catback are the only motor mods at this time.

Last edited:

squarehead

Old guy
I'll explain all of the little things I did since I filled up last Tuesday.
Ok, so I broke well into the 400s with this tank. Final mileage when I got the the gas station was at 423.1, and the fill-up was a surprising 11.971 gallons—which means there was 1.3 gallons remaining! I made it to the 400 Club! :)

Previously, over the last 5 tanks of gas, I was very consistently in the 30-31 mpg range. I made a pretty big effort in the last tank to do everything I knew to improve mileage over the course of one fill-up, and it all added up to a whopping 35.3 average on this tank. That was a 4-5 mpg improvement over what I have been getting before.

So here are the extra "efforts" that went into this improvement, and my entry into the 400 Club:

• tires aired-up to 41/37 psi front/rear
  • 93 octane gas
  • car was clean and waxed
  • shifted at 3,000 to 3,500 RPM (never hit VTEC)
  • kept highway speeds between 60-63 mph consistently
  • used draft behind semi tractor trailers whenever possible on highway (~2-car lengths)
  • proper alignment & tune on car, i.e. clean filters, plugs, oil, etc.
So basically, the mileage is there to be had with proper maintenance, and the patience to not drive too aggressively. I found that the hardest part, but the biggest gain in efficiency. Keeping the speeds on the highway below 65 and not hammering the car at every opportunity. Not that you should never drive hard, but just know that it goes with a heavy price in fuel economy.

After this experiment, I was discussing the absolute joys of the Integra, in that you can autocross and HPDEs it on the weekend, drive all winter through snow, take it to car shows, and yet still get 30+ mileage on a road trip or taking it back-and-forth to work. Great all-around car, and a helluva lot of fun to drive, to boot.

Ok, so who's next? :D

squarehead

Old guy
Anyone else get close?

I haven't touched my Teg in over a month now. On Easter, I fell down a staircase with my 2-year old daughter, and shattered my kneecap. She's fine, but I still am in a leg immobilizer and can't drive. It's making me crazy. I need to hear some of you guys are getting close to pulling off 400 miles to a tank!

Polska

You guys are lucky. Im get about 250 and thats when i get my gas light turned on.
I drive at 2rpms all the time, but then agian theres 5 lights to get to my job and its not even 5 miles away :/.

BambinoGS

Anti-Ricer
I've seen 450km on mine. I used neutral a lot. I averaged 350-400 before that. I did do a lot of spirited driving and wante to see how long I could go on a tank.

ben h

Banned
i cant :/
and my cars been on 3 for past 2 days and light still aint come on o.0 dunno if imma wait tell the light to come on or just fill up