Tires?

Bizkit64

Yo?
Yah i just got some mint volks and im lookin for some tires 205/50/15...

Anyone recommand a good site? Or place to buy them?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Actually it's pretty wide, considering it's a front wheel drive car, I mean most have 195 width tires max, really getting to wide just takes away from the responsiveness. There's plenty anough grip there. As for being 18s it is weird because most fwd vehicles don't have 18s so it does limit them in width because of the driveshafts and suspension setup that is needed. But anyway they are a weird size, but it's nice because unlike most rwd cars with 18s the tires aren't staggered so i'm able to rotate, actually I think that even the STIs are running a similar setup because they started using 18s and they have to keep the tires relitively smaller upfront as well. Infact most Fwd vehicles that are using 18s run a similar size.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
STi run 225 on 17x8. EVO runs 235 on 17x8.

I put my friends 19x8 with a 235 on my GST for shits and giggles one day they worked fine. 215's are narrow ass tires. My GSX runs an 18 with a 235 just fine as well.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom

I put my friends 19x8 with a 235 on my GST for shits and giggles one day they worked fine. 215's are narrow ass tires. My GSX runs an 18 with a 235 just fine as well.
225-215 eh whatever, I know that one of the Subarus run that tire size because they also come the Potenzas from the factory. I know the Evo runs big, but thats an awd vehicle. Even still for Fwd 215s are not narrow, and there is really no need for anything bigger. I think people just get that idea because they think 18 and automatically think super wide. If I said 215/45/15 then people would think it's fine.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Not really. I just want wider tires. I know you gotta have some kinda traction issues. My GST will still smoke down my 225/50-16 like nothing.

/thread jack

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
/thread jack
Really:lol: I mean I guess it could use wider tires, but the handling is so damn good right now, and it's so responsive. I do have traction issues in first and second but the diff works really good and with the traction control on it's hardly noticeable. But once it gets going and the tires heat up, I don't have anyproblem with loosing traction out of corners or even in the corner.

Here check them out.

speedin

The Transporter
Its not so much the width that thats odd. Its that combo. Tall rim skinny tread. BTW, My GST has some 235(or something) tires on 17's. Even my teg was wider than that

speedin

The Transporter

Yea, but these are AWD cars. They really dont need big tires.

But you want some width? LOL, Subaru people can cram MASSIVE tires because of the fender flares. With rolling the fenders they can do 255's DD. and 275's for Auto-X. Even though its so un-nessesary for most AWD cars. Short of hard, HARD out cars.

But FWD needs all the traction they can get. Expecially when you add power. So thats why a 215 is narrow.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
They need big tires because they are so heavy. More for cornering and braking to slow down and move all of that weight. But I can spin 235/40-18 Yok A048's in 3rd gear if I'm not careful. But I also run a bit of negative camber and rear toe out because it is designed to turn, not go straight

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Yea i'm running about -1 degree of camber in the front and between 1.5 and 2 in the back. Also about .2 toe in front and .16 toe in the rear.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
They need big tires because they are so heavy. More for cornering and braking to slow down and move all of that weight. But I can spin 235/40-18 Yok A048's in 3rd gear if I'm not careful. But I also run a bit of negative camber and rear toe out because it is designed to turn, not go straight
All that weight??? AWD isnt that heavy. What do you think weighs more...My car or a new GTI? GTI. 3085lb's isnt heavy.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
A GTi is more of a luxury performance car. Compare the weight of your car to a Teggy, RSX, Civic, SRT4...etc