Tires?

speedin

The Transporter
A GTi is more of a luxury performance car. Compare the weight of your car to a Teggy, RSX, Civic, SRT4...etc
Srt-4 2900lbs

RSX-S 2840lbs

Civic SI 2945lbs

Teg is old school, back when cars where just flat out lighter. But the teg is 2672lbs.

The newer cars are right on the 3000lbs mark. Hell all the difference between all the newer cars is less than an anorexic Paris Hilton. Teg, even being built to older specs is not that far off.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Actually weighed by SCC mag. Not guestimated by manufacturer

SRT4 = 2870
WRX = 3085
RSX-S = 2775
Si = 2871
GSX = 3053

200-300lbs makes a pretty big difference

speedin

The Transporter
Actually weighed by SCC mag. Not guestimated by manufacturer

SRT4 = 2870
WRX = 3085
RSX-S = 2775
Si = 2871
GSX = 3053

200-300lbs makes a pretty big difference
Not NEARLY the difference were talking about in tires. Thats 1 person in weight. The pushing in cornering your prob thinking of isnt due to it weighing more, it has the most to do with the drivetrain its self. Braking? Unless its quite hardout, or if you throw some mean chompers on certain tires. But 200-300lbs is not going to cause a need for much larger tires. Your going to see more of a need for large tires in a 300hp FWD car or a 400hp RWD car. Then in a 300lb heaver car. Were going after tires here. Thats all. And really, this is supposed to be about FWD anyways.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I have mean chompers. Research Porterfield R4-E pads. My car doesn't push either. KAAZ clutch type LSD can be packed to adjust the front to rear power bias. AWD cars should push less than a FWD due to atleast have some sort of power in back to help rotate. They are heavier though. All cars need a bigger rear sway bar.

/thread jack

Let's let samace_sg have his thread back! Apologies my man

speedin

The Transporter
I have mean chompers. Research Porterfield R4-E pads. My car doesn't push either. KAAZ clutch type LSD can be packed to adjust the front to rear power bias. AWD cars should push less than a FWD due to atleast have some sort of power in back to help rotate. They are heavier though. All cars need a bigger rear sway bar.

/thread jack

Let's let samace_sg have his thread back! Apologies my man
Made an edit as you must have posted this. Pushes what I was going after better.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Wide tires have a larger contact patch and offer more grip. I'll go with bigger any day if it will tuck nicely and stay close to the stock diameter. Wheelspin sucks, I'm not a drifter

speedin

The Transporter
Wide tires have a larger contact patch and offer more grip. I'll go with bigger any day if it will tuck nicely and stay close to the stock diameter. Wheelspin sucks, I'm not a drifter
Yes, but ANY car will benifit from larger tires. And better compounds. But its not something AWD's need because of the minor weight difference. Certainly not for traction. Most wider tires come into play on FWD and RWD applications where acceleration traction is difficult. Thats where this whole convo is coming from. Not from the fact wider is better. But from wider isnt needed. FWD and RWD wider is needed. RWD have been doing it forever. But thats because they can get away with staggard and wide set-ups.

Last edited:

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
Srt-4 2900lbs

RSX-S 2840lbs

Civic SI 2945lbs

Teg is old school, back when cars where just flat out lighter. But the teg is 2672lbs.

The newer cars are right on the 3000lbs mark. Hell all the difference between all the newer cars is less than an anorexic Paris Hilton. Teg, even being built to older specs is not that far off.

mine weighs more thanthat w.o me. i put it on a scale