acclude's 96 RS Build

acclude

cheap bastard
SON OF A BITCH!!!!!!!!!

I got it running over the weekend, took it on like an hour long drive yesterday and no major issues.

Today I drive it to work like 5 minutes down the road and out of nowhere....BOOM the radiator exploded! Blew a chunk out of the plastic top half. Why today on this short drive and not the long drive yesterday?!?!?!? It wasn't overheating and the rad. cap or hoses should have blown long before the radiator exploded. Makes no sense. Only thing I can guess is that it had a defect or a subtle crack from sitting for so long and it just finally gave out today.

Another minor issue I noticed is the cam seals behind the cam gears are leaking very slightly. That's what I get for using generic seals.

One other issue is that no matter what I set the idle at in Crome, it idles right around 750 RPM and kinda bogs just a little from there until about 900-1K RPM and occassionally cuts off after decelerating from a high-RPM rev. I think some ignition timing adjustments and a different IACV might take care of it. I've got 2 other IACV's laying around I may try and since it has no coolant in it right now, it's the perfect time to swap one out and try it.

A/F has been around 15.1-15.7 at idle and around 10.9-11.5 at WOT throughout the entire RPM range. I need to lean it out some more but for now I'll just let it be until I get the other issues worked out first.

So, I ordered a brand new 1/2 sized aluminum radiator w/slimline fan, OEM cam seals, and a fire extinguisher just for good measure. Unfortunately the car is down AGAIN until this stuff comes in :( Damn it! Another week off the road :(

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
can i give you mine! looks great man, your just having to work out the ankelbiters of a new build. good call on the extinguisher, you never know who will need it.

acclude

cheap bastard
what, the bogging/stalling out issue?

Perhaps, but once you hit the throttle it goes from a lean 15'ish to a pretty good 12'ish A/F. Then when you let off the throttle it goes from the rich 11'ish to a good 12/13'ish A/F. The RPM's are just dropping too low and that's causing the stall-out issue. And the IACV is not responding to the idle speed I have set and does not adjust idle based on temp. It's around 750 at first startup and after it warms up. Temp makes no difference. This is the second IACV I've put in it. The first one was completely bad and wouldn't hold idle at all and made a very loud humming and bumping noise. This one doesn't make the noises, but it stays at the same idle no matter what. At least the last one responded to IACV changes I made in Crome while this one doesn't. I think it's mostly due to ignition timing and the IACV. I don't have a timing light and set the dist. timing "by ear" so that should give you an idea of how precise the ign. timing is right now :) I think that will solve the bogging/cutting out issue once I get it set right.

acclude

cheap bastard
Wow, sorry I haven't been on in a while guys. I've been pretty busy with the new http://www.weaponscache.com site.

Got some vids of the teggy online finally! They're cell phone vids so sorry in advance for the bad quality.

Here she is doing a 0-60'ish MPH run. This video was taken when the teggy still had fuel pressure issues (about 80-85PSI fuel pressure :shock:). I have since fixed the issue and it is running A LOT BETTER NOW than in this video. I took it easy off the line so that I didn't spin tires but it is capable of much quicker acceleration than what's shown in the video. Also, it's capable of revving up to 10K RPM but I only went up to 8.5K RPM in this video. It's still got the extremely long-geared LS trans up to it right now so you'll see I easily hit 40MPH in 1st gear and would come close to hitting 50MPH if I rev'd up to 10K. The type-R trans will be swapped in later and that'll help acceleration greatly. I took this video for my friend Daniel (the guy I bought the car from).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR-Cj3WOyvM

This next video was taken earlier today. I fixed pretty much all of the last of the small issues (one or two more still need to be taken care of). It's idling perfect now. No more fuel pressure issue. A new vid will be coming soon that shows this thing hauling ass when I finish the tuning. Sorry, the volume is really low on this video :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9NF82QfIho

For whatever reason, the "youtube" BBcode isn't working so I posted the links instead.

I'm almost to a point that I can stop putting time and money into this car....not that I'm going to but I could if I wanted to ;)

Last edited:

acclude

cheap bastard
Oh yeah, the OEM radio did not work anymore so I swapped in a FREE JVC CD/MP3 deck. I'm also swapping in some alpine component speakers up front and co-ax in the rear and a V12 amp. I figure the extra 1lb it adds is worth it for something that I'm currently driving daily.

acclude

cheap bastard
So I've got some more issue that have popped up that need to be taken care of. I hope to have them done before the meet on the 2nd but It'll still drive and make it there either way.

Issue 1.
I've developed a pinging that occurs at RPM's over 4k and under load/WOT. If I'm not at WOT then there is no pinging. I just checked the valve lash the other day and re-adjusted it and that didn't take care of it. I originally set the ignition timing "by ear" (<--yeah yeah I know, don't give me crap for it) so I bought a timing light and will be checking that and adjusting it properly and hope that takes care of it. It is definitely coming from the head....not the block so that's a good sign. I think it is eaither bad ignition timing or (hopefully not) something wrong with a valve. I will know more soon.

Issue #2.
I have put on 3 different valve cover gasket kits and all three have leaked. I've tried OEM, Fel-Pro, and some other brand that I can't remember right now. They all have leaked in both the spark plug seals AND the main cover seal. The last one I even tried using a layer of liquid sealant in addition to the gaskets themselves and same issue. It leaks. Not too bad, but it's enough to get oil all over the place under the hood and ruin my engine paint job :( I think I might actually try a different valve cover since that may be the cause of the whole issue. I don't it's 3 bad gasket kits in a row.

Issue #3.
I broke an axle boot. The axle is still fine but it sprayed grease all over the underside of the engine bay and now it does "pop" under heavy acceleration. It's not clicking in turns yet though. Will look into upgraded axles soon but I'm riding this one until it goes.

Issue #4.
The Holley TB is very touchy. It kinda "sticks" closed when not giving it gas. When you hit the gas pedal, there is no such thing as "feathering the throttle" or "taking it easy", it kinda snaps open and wants to rev up immediately. Ther is no easing into the throttle. I tried using some moly paste to lube it up and help the butterfly valve wear into the outer body which has helped a little but it's still very touchy.

That's pretty much the main problems I have for now. I guess things could be worse. Hope to have it all fixed by the meet but if not I'm still driving it there anyways ;)

acclude

cheap bastard
Update again.

Related to the above post,

Issue #1
was kind of taken care of. I didn't notice any more pinging at higher RPM. I just re-adjusted the cam gears and reset the timing. The bad news is that now that the pinging is gone, I started to notice a very slight "knock" when under load at just about any RPM :shock: I hope the crank bearings did not get washed out from running so rich for so long. I'm gonna look into this more later this week.

Issue #2
I think I took caer of it. I gobbed on an ass load of sealant all over the VC and then put the gasket on and the gobbed on an ass load of sealant on the exposed parts and then put it on the car. At this point I don't care how ugly it is as long as it doesn't leak. So far so good.

Here's what the leaking oil has done to my paint job. Also notice the gobs of sealant on the gasket now too:

Issue #3 and #4 will get looked at later.

So that's a mixture of good news and bad news, but here's some good news. The all red tails got installed today too.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
tails look good man. try adjusting the throttle body set screw. that sux about the paint job:(

acclude

cheap bastard
less than 1k miles on it, ALL brand new parts.

I was basically retarded and have been driving it daily even though I had a fuel pressure issue which kept the pressure up to about 80-85PSI at all times! Of course that caused me to run super rich. I'm positive that a lot of gas was sneaking past the rings into the pan. Might have thinned out the oil enough to cuase some bearing damage. We'll see. I'm gonna drop the pan and have a look sometime this week.