acclude's 96 RS Build

acclude

cheap bastard
I fixed the fuel pressure and did some minor tuning so that I'm not running rich now and did a fresh oil change all in the same day. I think I might not have done it soon enough though :(

It is very subtle "knock" I can't even tell if it is knock, but it sounds like it from inside the car. If the bearings are gone, I could probably get away with just putting new bearings in without having to resurface the crank journals at this point. If I let it get bad then I might as well have the crank work done or use a different crank all together. I want to have it taken care of before the meet on the 2nd. I think it's do-able.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
you can do it . i remember a nissan i did like that and it went another 20k before i didn't see it again.

acclude

cheap bastard
I would like to change out the piston rings and bearings before the meet but we'll see.

On a good note, I did another "mod" to the car today.

acclude

cheap bastard
OK, so bad news. It's OK cause it's my fault. I won't do it again!

Because I drove the thing daily with the fuel issues that it had, it did wash the rings. That led to fuel mixing with the oil which became too thin and under-lubricated the bearings. So I do have some rod knock from excessive bearing wear on top of blow-by on the rings whcihc continues to thin the oil out. Leak down test confirmed the rings today. I'm dropping the pan on it tomorrow to see where it's at and what options I have at this point.

Future plans (within a month or two).....I'm dropping my spare block off at the machine shop sometime soon (when I pick a local machine shop) and the bottom end parts for the motor now (pistons, rods, ARP hardware, block girdle, block guard, crank and caps) and I will be getting them to hone, balance, and assemble the bottom end. Then I'll put in in the car with the same head. This will also get rid of the heli-coil rig job I did since it's a new block. If all goes right, I will be boosting it sometime in the near future on a fairly low boost level due to the high compression.

tbrazzy-s3

definitely just read your entire thread for the first time, impressed. the tear down and rebuild is what i want to learn. driving the cars fun, building the car is what really interests me though. good work man, good times good times

tbrazzy-s3

hey hey, don't put that entire thread up to give up on a car lol. i need some inspiration here to over achieve

acclude

cheap bastard
I wouldn't sell it. I'm just frustrated with it today that's all. There's good days and bad days. Today was one of the really bad days. If you don't dumb shit like I did with a few aspects of my build, then it can be very rewarding and worth the time/money/energy. I took a few shortcuts on vital things and I'm paying for it now. Just be thorough and don't take any shortcuts and your projects will turn out great. ;)

tbrazzy-s3

sounds good to me, so the wiring and tear down etc. i assume you learned all this hands on from buddies or something? or was it a lot of time spent with a manual? i really want to start working on my GS-R its not the time or money that bothers me, i just don't want to screw something up.

acclude

cheap bastard
I've been a mechanic for 10+ years, I worked on cars for fun even before that, and I've owned 7 Accords (that I modified fairly heavily) and now this Integra so this is all familiar ground for me. I say read the manual to get familiar and then just jump in to the work. You might break a few things along the way but you will learn and never forget what you learn. I know the best mechanic learning experiences for me involved breaking things and catching stuff on fire (on accident). It's the quickest way to learn "well I shouldn't do that again!" lol Best of luck on your GS-R. Post a build thread when you get some stuff done to it.

tbrazzy-s3

thats kind of what i figured, makes sense. breaking stuff's expensive though so imma try to keep it to a minimum lol. how's the engine coming?