Rebuilding my Type R

CKnight90

Why wouldn't the measurements he gave you work? What makes you assume this? We are saying you need to take what he gave you, do math, and figure it out.

Your block has been rebuilt. The oem numbers on the crank, block and rods are pointless because you don't know for sure if any of them have been touched. Prime example is the ARP rod bolts. ARP rod bolts require rods to be resized...making the oem color codes pointless.
Ok. Up to this point i feel this is over my head. I have no idea what the equation will be to figure what I need along with if it was givin' to me I wouldn't know If my conclusion would be correct. I asked the guy who did my measurements what bearings to get, he said STD ACL. If you see that Picture with the measurements he did write down green. All this is things I want to learn but from the right people who will show me the correct ones then show me how they got to the point how they got the ones I needed. I'm more of hands on then my other friends who just Pay to get their build done. I want this build to be my own, not bought built.

I messaged the previous owner(frined) if he could try to get ahold of the guy who did the building. I told him to ask what was done to the crank, journals, rod ends, rods, block, and what bearings were used before for the mains & rods.

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
There are Honda bearing calculators. A spread sheet that you can plop in your measurements given to you buy your machinist and it will spit out all the clearances for every honda bearing color.

Nick_C78

There are Honda bearing calculators. A spread sheet that you can plop in your measurements given to you buy your machinist and it will spit out all the clearances for every honda bearing color.
You should email me that. Hahah

CKnight90

Update:

Found it
BC = IDBT – ODC – (2 x BT)

BC = bearing clearance
IDBT = inside diameter of bearing tunnel (housing bore)
ODC = outside diameter of crank journal
BT = bearing thickness

I'm thinking about just taking it to a dealership and having them figure it out. All the machine work has been done so they'd just have to size the bearings. I keep getting told to get ACL. YET, i hear bad stories and good. Good for Strip/drag, bad for long term use/mileage. I want to have this build last a while. Something I'm not going to be taking apart here and there. Bearings is holding me back from finishing this build. Crazy how such small things can be so crucial!

Last edited:

Nick_C78

Dude, the horror stories about acl are by morons. People blame the bearing for their mistakes. They either had shitty clearances, contamination, or lost oil pressure. I assure you, acl as a brand is high quality and won't fail for the sake of failing. Something else has to happen to cause them to fail.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
Why wouldn't the measurements he gave you work? What makes you assume this? We are saying you need to take what he gave you, do math, and figure it out.

Your block has been rebuilt. The oem numbers on the crank, block and rods are pointless because you don't know for sure if any of them have been touched. Prime example is the ARP rod bolts. ARP rod bolts require rods to be resized...making the oem color codes pointless.
do they really?? i just put mine in and did the torque sequence

Update:

Found it
BC = IDBT – ODC – (2 x BT)

BC = bearing clearance
IDBT = inside diameter of bearing tunnel (housing bore)
ODC = outside diameter of crank journal
BT = bearing thickness

I'm thinking about just taking it to a dealership and having them figure it out. All the machine work has been done so they'd just have to size the bearings. I keep getting told to get ACL. YET, i hear bad stories and good. Good for Strip/drag, bad for long term use/mileage. I want to have this build last a while. Something I'm not going to be taking apart here and there. Bearings is holding me back from finishing this build. Crazy how such small things can be so crucial!
lol acl bearing stories are by people who dont want to blame themselves for fucking up a motor. Ie too tight or too loose of a clearance

Dude, the horror stories about acl are by morons. People blame the bearing for their mistakes. They either had s***ty clearances, contamination, or lost oil pressure. I assure you, acl as a brand is high quality and won't fail for the sake of failing. Something else has to happen to cause them to fail.
exactly. 4 years of track and still going strong.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
How is a dealership going to figure anything out? They are morons, not engine builders or tuners.

CKnight90

Well I have no choice. I guess. Step by step what do i have to do. From what I'm reading is taking my measurments. Doing the Equation with each measurement. Then ill find my oil clearance? I'm lost on what to do step by step. I don't have the old bearings from the mains or rods, the shop threw those away apparently. Crank only needed polishing. rods were reconditioned and checked. The person who helped me do the mesasurements didn't have the tool to mesasure the block journals. They didn't looked damaged or out of round.

B18C1, B18C5.…………………………….......................2.1643 - 2.1653 in
Taper……………………………….........................................0.0004 in max
Out-of-round……………………………….............................0.0004 in max
Runout……………………………….......................................0.002 in max
Main bearing oil clearance
No. 1,2,4,and 5 journals
Standard……………………………….................................0.0009 - 0.0017 in
Service limit………………………………...........................0.002 in max
No. 3 journal
Standard………………………………..................................0.0012 - 0.0019 in
Service limit………………………………............................0.0024 in max
Connecting rod journal
Diameter……………………………….....................................1.7707 - 1.7717 in
Taper………………………………...........................................0.0004 in max
Out-of-round………………………………...............................0.0004 in max
Runout……………………………….........................................0.001 in max

Rod Oil Clearances
B18C1, B18C5
Standard……………………………….....................................0.0013 - 0.0020 in
Service limit………………………………...............................0.0024 in max

^^^Specs came from http://www.ej8squad.com/thread-9312.html

Nick_C78

Have you thought about selling it and buying a used motor from Hmotorsonline.com or moshimoshi? Juuust something you might want to consider before this one goes boom. I am all for learning how to build engines and learning by killing a few along the way. We all do it...but killing a type r engine for your first attempt is a hefty price. Learn with a dseries or something.

CKnight90

Well I guess I have to learn some way? Some day I want to buy a b18c from hondamotors. I post on forums for guidence & steps how to. I do some research on my own though. Bearings is the only thing I'm stuck on. Everything else on this build is going to be easy.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Then you buy a set of std ACL for a starting point. Since you dont have expensive measuring tools you can use plastigauge. std ACLs are equivalent to OEM Green size. If the ACLs dont give you the clearance you need then you will have to order different OEM sizes. Either way you will end up wasting money on extra bearings and extra time waiting for parts.

CKnight90

I found a local guy who has some that he doesn't need. He says they are acl. Googling the part & find really cheap acl bearings on eBay or Amazon that March the part #'s. Are they fake or knock offs?

4b1925a-std
5m1959a-std