b20z swap vs b18c1

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
The B20 should be fine for the winding roads. Though I think the B18C1 would work better at corner exits. It's up to you. When I run the canyons, I barely go past 5K. I don't need to rev so high going downhill.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Well I would consider that the B20z massive 5ft/lb of torque advantage 1700 rpm earlier is not as nice as it sounds. If you are worried about ripping through corners, think about the fact that with the B20z, each successive redline upshift or properly executed downshift will land you above the torque peak where it has already started to rapidly decline. Shifting a C1 at redline lands right below it's torque peak allowing you to use that torque to pull through corner even though that peak is at like 6200rpms. If you were autoXing or on an open track day, perfectly matched downshifts would have the C1 landing in that increasing part of its torque curve where the B20z would already be passed it and falling off. The only time you would ever see that 5ft/lb of torque at a lower peak at advantage would be on standing start launches and daily driving. I just don't see that pay off being worth an almost 30hp deficit. Makes little a very little difference considering you said you don't care about going fast straight. That would be my opinion on stock vs. stock or even just a bolt-on car. If you had plans on going B20VTEC then the torque benefit would be more worth it since the other deficits may be eliminated. But that is also going all out. If you not worried about pushing lap times to the limit or whatever then it's not as important. It's all up to you man. Good luck either way

cabezzzdb8

BBS wanted
For the third time b18c1, I have never gotten the B20 hype unless mated with a vtec head

ltrain

1.the z revs to 7100......just like the b1.
2.im upgrading the tranny to a jdm gsr tranny with lsd.
3.the hp isnt really a big deal. i like corners....the engine doesnt have to be that fast.
if thats the case the b20z would be perfect for your goals. and u can always add a head

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
I met this guy with a 99 Si with B18C5 swap and said that I should get either a B16 or ITR tranny. Would you guys say the B16 tranny is better than the stock GSR?

DC2Integ

I ♥ My Integra
its up to you man its personal preferance some people like Vtec some people dont. Dont give in to peer pressure with everyone telling you to go Vtec. like you said you never heard vtec crack especially on a cold night when it sounds sick as hell so you wont miss it. the non vtec have some advantages and disadvantages that a vtec motor has and vice versa its all up to you and what you want your power for. oh BTW Vtec ftw bitches :twisted:

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
its up to you man its personal preferance some people like Vtec some people dont. Dont give in to peer pressure with everyone telling you to go Vtec. like you said you never heard vtec crack especially on a cold night when it sounds sick as hell so you wont miss it. the non vtec have some advantages and disadvantages that a vtec motor has and vice versa its all up to you and what you want your power for. oh BTW Vtec ftw bitches :twisted:
I like your speech. Especially the last sentence. Lol!

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
wow...alot of mixed reviews......personally im leaning towards the b20....i mean...if i want more....a b16 head goes for about 400....so the b20vtec woulnt hurt....this also gives me time to build up my ls engine to put in another car.......perhaps a DA.
i like the way you think. DAs > EARTH

Sammich

I met this guy with a 99 Si with B18C5 swap and said that I should get either a B16 or ITR tranny. Would you guys say the B16 tranny is better than the stock GSR?
yea i agree w/ what was said...i raced an 99civic ex w/ the c1 swap and he had his b16 tranny...my gawd..dude murked me soooooo bad its ridiculous....i almost felt like...vtec wasnt a factor for me lol